January 26, 2021 4:05 PM
Employment Opportunity for Code Enforcement
CODE ENFOREMENT POSITION JOB DESCRIPTION
The City of Bradenton Beach is now accepting applications for the position of CODE ENFORCEMENT OFFICER. This position performs inspections, enforcement and in-field work to secure compliance with all laws, regulations and ordinances governing land use, transient housing, signs, zoning, landscaping and environmental issues.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Essential functions are the basic job duties that an employee must be able to perform, with or without reasonable accommodation. The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the tasks performed within this classification. The omission of a function does not preclude management from assigning essential duties not listed herein if such duties relate to the position.
1. Conducts reactive (complaints) and proactive (self-initiated) field and waterway inspections of residential, commercial and vacant parcels according to all state, municipal, zoning, waterways, business tax, building laws and regulations;
2. Enforces and reviews municipal ordinances on an as needed basis;
3. Prepares, organizes and maintains case files to present cases and testifies at quasi-judicial hearings;
4. Educates residents and business owners in code purposes and compliance procedures;
5. Provides superior customer service and correspondence with citizens who are in violation of city codes; explains actions required to comply with ordinances and provides remedial action alternatives;
6. Demonstrate a polite, helpful and courteous manner when engaged in any activity involving the public while demonstrating an understanding, consideration, and respect;
7. Responds to public inquiries in a courteous manner; provides information within the area of assignment; resolves complaints in an efficient and timely manner;
8. Researches and obtains information regarding policies, laws, regulations, business tax receipts, engineering, landscaping, permits and building and zoning requirements;
9. Researches ownership of various residential and commercial parcels or properties within the City;
10. Attends internal and external meetings and trainings;
11. Posts and mails hearing and violation notices;
12. Identifies structures that may be unsafe and initiates the appropriate follow-up action;
13. Compiles and prepares written reports on investigations, maintains all inspection results, prepares correspondence and notices of violations in a computerized case management environment. Responsible to maintain records of complaints, violations, inspections, re-inspections, and dispositions;
14. Follows up all complaints and violations until resolved;
15. May be required to flex their work schedule, work nights and weekends and holidays as necessary to perform assigned responsibilities; and
16. Performs related work as required.
• Applicant must have a High School Diploma or GED;
• Possess at least three (3) years of paid work experience dealing with the public in any of the following types of work: code enforcement, planning, building inspection, construction or other closely related fields; or Possess any two (2) levels of F.A.C.E. (Florida Association of Code Enforcement) Certification, or equivalent certification (i.e. American Association of Code Enforcement, Careers in Code Enforcement, Relevant State Association of Code Enforcement);
• Applicant must have basic computer skills and knowledge of computer programs
• Applicant must possess and maintain a valid Florida Driver's License.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES & OTHER
• Considerable knowledge of applicable City codes and zoning ordinances;
• Knowledge of legal descriptions as they relate to the enforcement of regulatory codes;
• Ability to research property history and access data using computer databases;
• Ability to deal with the general public in adverse situations, exercising a high degree of tact, diplomacy, and persuasion and the ability to use good judgment in seeking compliance;
• Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing including the ability to write detailed reports and summaries relaying information clearly and concisely and speaking publicly;
• Ability to maintain files;
• Ability to read and comprehend technical professional journals, memos, maps, plans, legal statutes, ordinances, and correspondence; and
• Ability to identify and develop resolutions for problems and violations.
PHYSICAL STANDARDS REQUIRED TO PERFORM ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
The position involves medium physical demands, such as exerting up to 50 lbs. of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 lbs. of force frequently, and/or up to 10 lbs. of force constantly to move objects.
Ability to climb, carry, lift, bend, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, reach, walk, push, pull, grasp, stand and access heights or areas where limited space is available.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.